Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Foundation gears up for its live theatre festival from November 18
The courtyard of the long-lasting Moazzam Jahi Market performs host to the competition’s inaugural play ‘Quli: Dilon Ka Shahzada’
Come November 18, the inside courtyard of the long-lasting Moazzam Jahi Market varieties an ideal backdrop for the interval costume drama Quli: Dilon Ka Shahzada, a royal love story between king Quli Qutub Shah, founding father of Hyderabad and courtesan Bhagmati. Directed by Mohd. Ali Baig, Quli… additionally rolls out the 15th version of Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Pageant which presents 5 productions at Raddison Blu Plaza in Banjara Hills from November 20- 22.
The annual Qadir Ali Baig competition is normally 10-day affair with a large spectrum of performs involving scores of artistes from throughout India and worldwide, masterclasses and workshops. This yr’s abridged format could have productions with fewer artistes and even solo performs unfold over a weekend.
- Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Basis’s ‘Quli : Dilon ka Shahzaada’ (Urdu); November 18; 8pm
- The Hoshruba Repertory’s ‘Dastangoi’ (English) that includes Danish Husain on November 20; 7 pm; A pleasant journey throughout cultures and continents via the normal, vibrant storytelling format.
- Seagull Repertory’s ‘Shakuntala Ke Saath Ek Dopehar’ (Hindi) on November 21 at 7 pm; Written by Vaidehee and directed by Okay.V. Subbanna, the play that includes Bhageerathi is a modern-day take a look at Kalidasa’s Shakuntala via a glimpse of a day in her life.
- Alchemy Theatre’s ‘Striptease’ (English) Written by Slawomir Mrozek and directed by Heeba Shah on November 21 at 8.15 pm; The absurdist play is about two center class males who discover themselves confined in a single house.
- Rang Sanskar’s ‘Dona’ (Hindi) on November 22 at 7 pm; Written by Arun Kolatkar Directed by Daulat Vaid, the play highlights the ideological social distances between the younger and the outdated and the traditional and fashionable, whereas questioning if human tradition is the most effective.
- Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Basis’s ‘Alone’ (English) November 22 at 8 15 pm; Written by Noor Baig and directed by Mohammad Ali Baig, the play, a dramatised studying reveals a yesteryear star reflecting on her solitude and the various characters she has performed in her life.
Tribute to frontline warriors
“That is our first efficiency within the new regular period,” says Baig including the competition is a dedication to his father and theatre doyen Qadir Ali Baig as to additionally the town and its folks and thanksgiving to the frontline warriors — docs, healthcare employees, police power, municipal employees, voluntary organisations and people ‘doing a terrific deal to assist and get the town again on rails in the course of the pandemic and the latest devastating Hyderabad floods.’
The imposing stone construction of Moazzam Jahi Market is surrounded by fruit retailers and bustling bazaars on its three sides; the monument was thrown open for folks after renovation in August. It was Arvind Kumar, Principal Secretary, MA&UD who had instructed the inside courtyard for the recently-restored Market as a venue to stage Quli which had been earlier staged at historic monuments and palaces like Golconda Fort, Chowmahalla Palace, Taramati Baradari and Van Gogh Fort in France.
Baig did a recce of the location (MJ Market) to verify if their efficiency on the open air venue can be disturbed by noise. He says, “A excessive ceiling and big stone arches (18 ft) envelope the house and muffle the outside visitors sounds.” The venue was discovered appropriate for the manufacturing that additionally has a qawaali by the Warsi Brothers and a Shiv tandav scene that depicts Quli using via a flooding Musi to satisfy his beloved Bhagmati.
The Pageant additionally marks a brand new starting for Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Basis staging dwell performs after the lockdown. Sanitizing on the gate and contained in the premises, temperature checks and distanced seating are a part of the protection measures that can be adopted. As an illustration, the MJ Market courtyard can seat as much as 300 folks, however solely 100 folks can be allowed.
- Baig feels honoured and a proud Hyderabadi to current the play in an iconic website that reminds him of grand bazaar of Istaanbul. Calling MJ Market, an idea forward of its time, he says, “I felt obligation sure to bow to the final Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan to salute his visionary zeal and have a market place within the 1930s the place one can discover spices, fruits and different home goods underneath one roof.,”
- Baig’s grand father Mirza Mehmood Ali Baig was Nizam’s particular attache. From spices to their kitchen and fruits to cartridges for his grand father for looking and fodder for polo horses got here from the market. He provides, “An enormous imposing clock tower stands testimony to the truth that there was a ruler who won’t have modified his sherwani too typically however he did every thing to be sure that the residents’ life is hunky dory.”
The Pageant showcases performs with divergent themes and languages. The final day’s play Alone directed by Baig is from A-Quaint-Essences, a guide of quick tales written by his spouse Noor. Set in the course of the lockdown, the play in a dramatised studying format options actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi. Noor says, “The story is of an actress who’s within the sundown of her life and reminisces her previous experiences. Even because the actress struggles via the lockdown interval, it’s about her experiences in the course of the remoted time.”
All six reveals of the Pageant will even be streamed on-line later for individuals who need to watch it nearly.
(Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Pageant on November 18 and from 20 to 22; Inaugural play Quli at Moazzam Jahi Market is free however one has to register. Registration and tickets at bookmyshow.com)